- Physical Activity Benefits of Dog Ownership
Koichiro Oka and Ai Shibata. “Dog ownership and health-related physical activity among Japanese adults.” Journal of Physical Activity and Health, 2009; 6: 412-418.
Ai Shibata, Koichiro Oka, Shigeru Inoue, Hayley Christian, Yoshinori Kitabatake, and Teruichi Shimomitsu. “Physical activity of Japanese older adults who own and walk dogs.” American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 2012; 43: 429-433.
- Social Benefits of Dog Ownership & Dog Walking
- Mohammad Javad. Koohsari, Akitomo Yasunaga, Ai Shibata, Kaori Ishii, Rina Miyawaki, Kuniko Araki, Tomoki Nakaya, Tomoya Hanibuchi, Gavin R. McCormack, & Koichiro Oka. Dog ownership, dog walking, and social capital. Humanities & Social Sciences Communications, 2021; 8: 126.
- Dog Ownership & Sedentary Behaviours
- Mohammad Javad. Koohsari, Ai Shibata, Kaori Ishii, Sayaka Kurosawa, Akitomo Yasunaga, Tomoya Hanibuchi, Tomoki Nakaya, Gavin R. McCormack, and Koichiro Oka. “Dog ownership and adults’ objectively-assessed sedentary behaviour and physical activity.” Scientific Reports, 2020; 10: 1-7.
- Personal & Social Correlates of Dog Walking
Koichiro Oka, and Ai Shibata. “Prevalence and correlates of dog walking among Japanese dog owners.” Journal of Physical Activity and Health, 2012; 9: 786-793.
Koichiro Oka, and Ai Shibata. “Factors associated with the stages of change for dog walking among Japanese dog owners.” Journal of Physical Activity and Health, 2012; 10: 124-133.
- Dog Ownership, Dog Walking, & Urban Design
- Mohammad Javad. Koohsari, Tomoki Nakaya, Gavin R. McCormack, Ai Shibata, Kaori Ishii, Akitomo Yasunaga, Yung Liao, and Koichiro Oka. “Dog-walking in dense compact areas: The role of neighbourhood built environment.” Health & Place, 2020; 61: 102242.
- Review of Evidence
- Koichiro Oka, Ai Shibata, and Kaori Ishii. “Association of dog ownership and dog walking with human physical activity.” The Journal of Physical Fitness and Sports Medicine, 2014; 3: 291-295.